Wednesday 25 June 2014

Oshawa Peony Festival 2014

After trying to pick some of the peonies in the early verities and keeping them in the fridge, the only peonies that did well were picked that day or the night before.  It was fun to try.  The morning was cold and some did not want to open at the show, even though they were open in the house before driving to the show.  I enjoyed bringing some different types to the show.
 This is one of the vases on the way to the show.  The kitchen and car were filled with the scent of peonies.
I was able to help out at the show, and got to know what to look for when judging.  It was interesting to be standing there when one of my peonies won Best in Class. 

The peony that won best Itoh was called Garden Treasure.  There was a line up outside, in the garden to take the picture of this peony in the garden.  Ron Adams did very well in this class.  He won almost all of the ribbons in the Itoh classes.  I did get a few more firsts, some seconds and some thirds in some of the other classes.  I talked with other gardeners that brought only a couple of peonies and managed to win some ribbons.  This year I was not able to spend much time outside.  I did come back on Sunday to catch a couple of the lectures that were very informative. It is a great time, and admission is free.
If you live close by, bring some peonies and have fun.  It is a great time, or just come to see all of the peonies.  Visiting this show is where I picked the peonies for the new garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment