Sunday 8 June 2014

Nichols Arboretum

This weekend I went to visit a living museum.  Nichols Arboretum gardens were open to the public in 1927.  Many of the original peonies are still there.  It can be used as a reference to confirm some species of peonies.  The timing was perfect.  Twenty feet away with a cold in my nose, I could still smell the peonies.


 
 
 
 
 



There are two of each peonies and most are very old cultivars.
They have had special quests like Don Hollingsworth to confirm the species.

 It was warm and sunny day and not over crowded.  Staff were on hand to answer questions, maps were available and each patch has a plaque with the picture and name.  I was able to confirm some of the peonies I have, but I still have lots of unknown.
 
 
They have some sheets available to give visitors some background on the some of the names of peonies.  All in all it was a great day and worth the drive to Ann Arbour, MI.
 
 
 
Thanks for stopping bye.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment